Article body analysed

By LUKE POWER Published: 10: 59 AEDT, 21 March 2025 | Updated: 10: 59 AEDT, 21 March 2025 3 View comments Arsenal were sweating over another potential injury blow on Thursday night after one of their stars suffered an awkward fall on international duty.   Riccardo Calafiori looked to injure his left knee after slipping unprompted in the 92nd minute of Italy's 2-1 Nations League quarter-final defeat by Germany.   The defender immediately held his knee and had to come off for what remained of the game, leaving Italy with 10 men. Now the Gunners will anxiously await the results of testing and hope he doesn't join Bukayo Saka, Kai Havertz, Gabriel Jesus, Takehiro Tomiyasu, and Raheem Sterling on the treatment table.   Calafiori has already spent four separate spells on the sidelines this season due to knocks. The issue of his left knee is particularly sensitive after a devastating injury when he was 16 at Roma, where he ruptured all his ligaments in that knee and there were efars he would struggle to even walk. Here’s the clip ? pic. twitter. com/z2CHx CCOFM Arsenal star Riccardo Calafiori suffered an awkward left knee blow on Thursday night  He said he 'did not know' how serious it was going to be after being forced to come off  The 22-year-old was able to walk off unaided but did not complete the game as Italy lost 2-1 to Germany His first-ever tattoo - 'never give up' - harks back to that period of his life.   After his latest potential setback against Germany, Italy manager Luciano Spalletti said: 'He said that his knee feels strange, but cannot answer more precisely than that, so we’ll have to see. ' Asked how serious the blow is, Calafiori replied: 'I still don’t know. ' Calafiori, 22, had been trying to change direction when he lost his footing and fell on Thursday night.   He was able to walk off independently after being seen to by Italy's physios.    It remains to be seen if he will be in action in the return leg against Germany on Sunday.   Arsenal's next fixture is against Fulham on April 1 and they will face Real Madrid on April 8 and 16 in the Champions League quarter-finals.  

Share what you think

The comments below have not been moderated.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of Mail Online.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules. Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual.   Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on Mail Online. To do this we will link your Mail Online account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook. You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy. Published by Associated Newspapers Ltd Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group