Article body analysed

By LEWIS BROWNING Published: 03: 43 AEDT, 27 March 2025 | Updated: 04: 30 AEDT, 27 March 2025 View comments A Bayern Munich star has been ruled out of action for six months after tearing his ACL, the club have confirmed. The German giants, who are top of the Bundesliga by six points - ahead of Bayer Leverkusen, the German champions - have their sights set on both domestic and European success this season. Having lost to their closest rivals in the last-16 of the German Cup, they have set their sights on regaining the league title, as well as winning the Champions League, which they are in the quarter-finals of. They will, however, have to do that without one of their star players, after Alphonso Davies was ruled out of action for around six month after tearing his ACL on international duty. The Canadian full back was withdrawn early on in his side's 2-1 win over the USA in California on Sunday, having again started at left back for his country - his 58th cap for his country. Follow-up scans have confirmed the outcome is the worst-possible for Davies and Bayern, with the defender now out for the rest of next season and seemingly the start of next.   A Bayern Munich star has been ruled out of action for six months after tearing his ACL Left back Alphonso Davies (right) will miss the season run-in after picking up the issue while on international duty He has played 31 times for Bayern this season, but will not feature for them again this term Bayern said in a statement on Wednesday: 'Davies was diagnosed with a torn cruciate ligament in his right knee following his return from international duty with the Canadian national team and will undergo surgery today. 'The 24-year-old will not be available to play for the German record champions for several months. ' Bayern also confirmed that centre back Dayot Upamecano will also be out of action for the foreseeable, adding: 'Upamecano was diagnosed with loose bodies in his left knee, which means he will not be available to FC Bayern for several weeks. ' Max Eberl, Bayern's sporting director, said: 'Unfortunately, there's always the risk of players returning from international breaks with injuries - this time we've been hit particularly hard. 'The absence of Alphonso Davies and Dayot Upamecano weighs heavily on FC Bayern. Phonzy will get all the support he needs on his road to recovery. We'll also be keeping a close eye on Upa in the coming weeks and expect him to be available again soon. 'We have a strong squad and will compensate for these absences. We'll now grow even closer together. The quality is there to continue pursuing our big goals. ' Davis has played 31 times for Bayern this season, scoring three goals.

Share what you think

No comments have so far been submitted. Why not be the first to send us your thoughts,

or debate this issue live on our message boards.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules. Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual.   Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on Mail Online. To do this we will link your Mail Online account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook. You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy. Published by Associated Newspapers Ltd Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group