Article body analysed

By WILL PICKWORTH Published: 22: 24 AEDT, 6 March 2025 | Updated: 22: 24 AEDT, 6 March 2025 View comments Joshua Kimmich has opened up on his Bayern Munich future as he heads into the final few months of his contract. Kimmich, 30, is currently set to become a free agent in the summer. Bayern have offered him an extension but have been left underwhelmed by his response. Several clubs are said to have expressed an interest in Kimmich, including Arsenal, Liverpool and PSG, yet there is also a chance he remains with the German giants. Kimmich has been an integral member of Bayern's side since joining the club from RB Leipzig in 2015, with the midfielder having made more than 400 appearances and won 20 trophies, including eight Bundesliga titles. The 30-year-old, who can also fill in at right back, has similarly won 97 caps for Germany and was appointed as their captain in the aftermath of Euro 2024. Speculation has been rife surrounding what happens next with Kimmich and, speaking after Bayern's 3-0 victory over Bayer Leverkusen in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie, he provided an update. Joshua Kimmich has given an update on his Bayern Munich future ahead of his deal expiring Kimmich's contract ends this summer and he spoke after Bayern beat Bayer Leverkusen Kimmich has made over 400 appearances for Bayern since joining from RB Leipzig in 2015 'My plan was to make my decision before the international break, ' he said after playing the full 90 minutes of the clash.   'The club didn't want that, which is legitimate. There will be a decision soon. It will definitely be before the international break at the latest. ' Kimmich continued: 'Other clubs also play a role in my decision on the future. I won’t mention which clubs, but there will be a decision soon. ' The departure of Kimmich would be a huge blow for Vincent Kompany given the 30-year-old had played every minute for the club this season until he picked up an injury against Frankfurt last month. However, he returned quickly and shone in last night's thumping of Leverkusen - a result which allowed Bayern to put one foot in the quarter-finals of the Champions League.   Kimmich's comments on when he will make a decision - with the international break commencing on March 17th - come after the club had reportedly set him a deadline to sign a new contract. Bayern offers of a new deal had initially been withdrawn following the player's hesitant response, something that was confirmed by CEO Jan-Christian Dreesen on Wednesday. The club were said to have offered Kimmich an extension that would have seen his existing salary stay the same. Kimmich, who has also won 97 caps for Germany, has been linked with Liverpool and Arsenal If Kimmich did depart it would be a huge blow to Vincent Kompany, who is a huge fan of him The player was reportedly willing to accept that part of the deal but his demands over a signing bonus were not to the club's liking. According to BILD, Bayern will not increase their previous offer and were only prepared to offer the original deal again on one condition. Kimmich reportedly had to approach Bayern bosses before the Champions League tie against Leverkusen and declare his commitment to his current club, yet that has clearly not happened. Nevertheless, the speculation over his future has not derailed what is turning out to be an impressive season for Kompany's side. Bayern are currently eight points clear of Leverkusen at the top of the Bundesliga as they look to regain the title. It comes after Xabi Alonso's side won the league last year, which ended Bayern's run of triumphing in 11 successive seasons between 2012 and 2023.

Share what you think

No comments have so far been submitted. Why not be the first to send us your thoughts,

or debate this issue live on our message boards.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules. Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual.   Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on Mail Online. To do this we will link your Mail Online account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook. You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy. Published by Associated Newspapers Ltd Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group