Article body analysed
By JAMES COHEN Published: 18: 35 AEDT, 19 March 2025 | Updated: 20: 44 AEDT, 19 March 2025 25 View comments Christian Eriksen has been tipped to return to his former club Ajax after announcing his intentions to leave Manchester United in the summer. The 33-year-old Denmark international is out of contract at Old Trafford in June and after silence from the club about their plans for the future he is preparing to seek a new challenge abroad. ‘I haven't heard anything from the club, and therefore I assume that the collaboration will stop. That's how I interpret it, ’ he said on Tuesday while on international duty. ‘My contract expires this summer, and I'm prepared to find something new. I'm fine with that. Where it will be, I haven't decided yet'. Now, according to Dutch reports, Ajax is emerging as a possibility for the 33-year-old, who made 162 appearances for the side before moving to Tottenham in 2013. De Telegraaf claim that the midfielder does not want to return to Denmark to finish his career and has not ruled out a potential move to the Johan Cruyff Arena. Christian Eriksen has been tipped to return to his former club Ajax during the summer The Danish star started his career with the Dutch giants before moving to Spurs in 2013 Should Eriksen make a move back to the Dutch giants, it would see him reunite with former Man United team-mate Wout Weghorst. The two players struck up a close relationship - with the Dane previously seen driving Weghorst around in their United days - before the striker's departure in 2023. The Dutch star spent just half a season at Old Trafford after being recalled from his initial loan at Burnley and being sent to United for the second half of 2022-23. During that time, he scored two goals across 31 appearances. He then spent a season at Hoffenheim before joining Ajax in the most recent summer transfer window. Speaking earlier in the week, Eriksen continued: ‘I haven't tried to be out of contract except after the cardiac arrest, but that was a bit of a different situation. ‘I'm waiting and seeing what offers come in. I'm not going to make any hasty decisions, but if the right thing comes, I'll take it. But I don't know what the right thing is. ’ Eriksen spent a season in Italy with Inter Milan before returning to England in 2022 to play for Brentford. In that same year he joined Manchester United one a three-year deal. He has made 27 appearances this season, many from the bench, but has shown in recent weeks that he can play a role in a system that covers for his lack of pace, particularly tracking back in transition. Should he move to Ajax, Eriksen would reunite with ex-United star Wout Weghorst (middle) Eriksen revealed that he has not been offered a new deal despite his expiring contract But with that being said, moving back to Denmark or a switch to Major League Soccer in the United States are both off the table, as could be a stay in England. ‘The intention is not to stay in England, ’ he added. ‘I'm not going to the USA, we're not going that far. We'd like to stay in Europe, but it's too early to go home to Denmark. ' Eriksen is determined to play in the 2026 World Cup next year and so his next move away from Manchester United is viewed as crucial to keeping him sharp for what is set to be his final major international tournament. ‘I feel like I have some good years abroad left, ’ Eriksen, who previously played in Serie A with Inter Milan and in the Eredivisie with Ajax, added. ‘When you go back to Denmark, I feel like it's really about family and finishing your career, and that's fair enough, but I'm not there yet.
Share what you think
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of Mail Online.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules. Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual. Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on Mail Online. To do this we will link your Mail Online account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook. You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy. Published by Associated Newspapers Ltd Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group