Article body analysed

By CRAIG HOPE Published: 03: 00 AEDT, 4 April 2025 | Updated: 04: 35 AEDT, 4 April 2025 1 View comments Newcastle are in talks over a lucrative pre-season friendly against Tottenham at what would be a sold-out stadium in the South Korean capital of Seoul, Confidential can reveal. Given the presence of Spurs and South Korea captain Son Heung-min, a capacity crowd of 66, 000 would be expected at the World Cup Stadium, which hosted the country’s semi-final defeat by Germany in 2002. We understand Spurs are in discussions over a return to Korea and a game against Newcastle is now a strong possibility. The Magpies were in talks with organisers in Hong Kong over playing matches at the new Kai Tak Stadium this summer. Staff visited Hong Kong to check out facilities on more than one occasion. However, it was confirmed this week that Liverpool, AC Milan, Spurs and Arsenal will feature instead, meaning Newcastle have re-routed to South Korea and Singapore in late July. It is thought they will play two matches in Korea, most likely versus Spurs and an All-Star XI. They will play one game in Singapore, with Arsenal in the frame, but confirmation is still awaited on all fixture. Newcastle would likely face Tottenham at the Seoul World Cup stadium, which was built for the 2002 tournament Spurs and South Korea captain Son Heung-min will be a huge draw for the friendly Arsenal are also being lined up for a friendly against Newcastle, in Singapore HURRICANE PARTY! Newcastle’s Town Moor on-stage party was in danger of being scrapped right up until 3pm on Saturday because of high winds, Confidential can reveal. With the players due to leave St James’ Park on their open-top bus at 4. 30pm, officials and safety staff on the Moor were concerned about the gusts that were battering the stage area, where Eddie Howe and his team were due to appear after 6pm. I can vouch for this, because my laptop was blown straight off the stool that doubled as my desk! The contingency plan was for the bus to drive onto the Moor and for Ant and Dec to deliver the show from the top deck - and that was in play until late in the day. Newcastle’s Town Moor on-stage party was in danger of being scrapped right up until 3pm on Saturday because of high winds The winds eased - even if only ever so slightly - and that allowed the team to present the trophy to 150, 000 fans on the Moor from the main stage But, as it was, the winds eased - even if only ever so slightly - and that allowed the team to present the trophy to 150, 000 fans on the Moor from the main stage. The lights show organised by front-of-shirt sponsor Sela was also at risk of cancellation, given that drones cannot fly in extremely high winds. But, again, organisers found a way around a series of issues presented to them on the day, and what played out was a truly memorable occasion. ROOFTOP PARTY! Saturday’s after-show celebration took place at Above, the trendy rooftop bar at the Vermont Hotel on Newcastle’s Quayside. But it did so without the stars of the show, for Newcastle’s players had training the following day and were told that alcohol and partying were off limits. Given the non-internationals had a fair crack at all of that in Dubai in the days after the cup final, there were very few complaints. But it did make me smile this week when I was told that, upon his later arrival in Dubai, Eddie Howe very quickly made his players swap their dancing shoes for football boots! PARTY POLITICS! It did not go unnoticed that some key political figures were enjoying themselves alongside Newcastle chiefs and club legends at the parade party - for they will be needed in getting plans for a new stadium signed off. Confidential exclusively reported last month how the Saudi owners, hierarchy and some stakeholders had seen plans for a new build on Leazes Park. The capacity proposed then was 65, 000. North East mayor Kim Mc Guinness (pictured right) and Labour MP Chi Onwurah were backstage and in VIP areas with the club’s top brass Chief executive Darren Eales (pictured right, with Bobby Moncur) is said to be among the key players proposing the capacity does not go much beyond 65, 000 This presentation included a video of how the stadium and surrounding area would look, and club chiefs are said to be super excited by the vision they have seen for a new home. To that end, they know the importance of local political support and, as one source said: ‘This will be about the community working together. ’ So, to see North East mayor Kim Mc Guinness and Labour MP Chi Onwurah backstage and in VIP areas with the club’s top brass - including those driving the move to Leazes Park - was not lost on some observers. Chief executive Darren Eales is said to be among the key players proposing the capacity does not go much beyond 65, 000, given the need to maintain demand and protect the pricing model. He has experience of launching football teams in new stadiums from his time in MLS with Atlanta United. Club sources insist PIF are yet to sign off on final plans, but developments of the past few weeks tell us that all roads currently lead towards a new build on Leazes Park. NO PADEL PARTY! The squad’s plans for a padel tournament in Dubai were scuppered at the last minute - because the courts were under renovation! Instead, padel enthusiasts among the group - and that is most of them - had to settle for what they consider second best, a more traditional game of tennis. A PARTY TOO FAR… I have seen quite a bit of young midfielder Travis Hernes for the Under 21s and have always been impressed. However, reports from Denmark this week would suggest the 19-year-old has not done himself any favours during his loan stay with Aalborg. They were beaten 4-0 at home last weekend and Hernes was among a group of three players who then made an ill-advised visit to a local nightclub. The Norwegian and his team-mates have since issued a public apology and will be disciplined by the club. PROMOTION PARTY? Finally, the ambition of Newcastle United Women’s boss, Becky Langley, appears to be limitless, writes Tara Anson-Walsh. Langley says she is desperate for the team to reach the WSL ‘as quickly as possible’. Since being promoted last season, Newcastle have gone from strength to strength under Langley’s leadership and at just 29, she is the youngest coach in the second tier. This growth included victory in the Tyne-Wear derby in front of a record Championship crowd last month. The team sit sixth in the league, comfortably clear of relegation, with a promotion push for next season looking increasingly likely. Langley told Confidential: ‘A safe answer for me could be that I'd like a couple of seasons in the Championship to adjust and grow as a coach, because if we get there too quickly, it puts me in a position of vulnerability, but I'm probably the absolute polar opposite. ‘I want to get there now. I’m desperately disappointed that it’s not going to be this season because there’s been a lot of hard work to ensure that we are pushing into the top three and competing with the likes of London City and Birmingham. ‘I think the bit that gives me a bit of perspective is that we're competing against teams that have played 11, 12 years in the Championship. 'But we know we've got the potential to do it. We’ve beaten Sunderland twice in our derbies in front of huge crowds, so we know about the potential it's just showing that consistency every day. ’ The ambition of Newcastle United Women’s boss, Becky Langley, appears to be limitless Newcastle are aiming for back-to-back promotions having won the Northern Premier last season TOON TEASER It’s Toon Teaser time. Our last puzzler was a little complicated. We had previously asked you to name the 10 England internationals that Newcastle used across four Wembley appearances between 1996 and 2000 (Charity Shield, two FA Cup finals and one FA Cup semi-final). The answers were; Alan Shearer, Rob Lee, David Batty, Peter Beardsley, Warren Barton, Steve Howey, Stuart Pearce, John Barnes, Kieron Dyer and Les Ferdinand. Anthony Gordon is one of 15 Newcastle players who have appeared for England since 2000 Dan Burn is the most recent England debutant to be playing for Newcastle Since then, 14 Newcastle players had appeared for England… and the answers were; Jermaine Jenas, Jonathan Woodgate, Nicky Butt, Michael Owen, Scott Parker, Alan Smith, Andy Carroll, Andros Townsend, Kieran Trippier, Nick Pope, Callum Wilson, Anthony Gordon, Lewis Hall and Tino Livramento. However, 14 became 15 when Dan Burn made his debut the day after we posed our Teaser! This week’s question is (and this is the last one on this theme)… There you have every Newcastle player who has appeared for England since 1996. Remarkably, between winning the FA Cup in 1955 and 1996, only four others who aren’t listed above were capped by the Three Lions while a Newcastle player. Name them!

Share what you think

The comments below have not been moderated.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of Mail Online.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules. Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual.   Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on Mail Online. To do this we will link your Mail Online account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook. You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy. Published by Associated Newspapers Ltd Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group