Article body analysed
By SPENCER MORGAN Published: 04: 02 AEDT, 29 March 2025 | Updated: 04: 55 AEDT, 29 March 2025 4 View comments A Premier League club's sporting director has revealed his interest in a player who was involved in a social media spat with Liverpool midfielder Dominik Szoboszlai last week. Real Madrid and Turkey starlet Arda Guler is still regarded as one of the most exciting young talents in world football despite his limited game time since joining Los Blancos in 2023. He was involved in a clash with Szoboszlai during his country's Nations league victory over Hungary on Sunday with a picture quickly circulating on social media which showed him putting his finger to his mouth and seemingly telling the Hungarian to be quiet. And eagle-eyed fans quickly spotted that Szoboszlai had commented '1088' on a post of the image, which is the exact amount of minutes Guler has played for Madrid this season. The Turkey star then posted a picture of the scoreline alongside a caption that read: 'this guy is a joke. Isn't six goals enough to shut you up? ' with a shush emoji. The scoreboard was also edited to show 'Szoboszlai 1 Instagram comment' where Hungary's goalscorers would have been had there been any. Arda Guler (centre) is Turkey's star man but has had limited game time at Real Madrid Aston Villa sporting director Monchi has revealed that he is interested in the player Dominik Szoboszlai was involved in a war of words with Guler after their Nations League clash And Aston Villa transfer chief Monchi has now admitted he would be interested in bringing Guler to the Premier League ‘I know him well because he’s a player that every sporting director has followed in his career since Turkey, ’ Monchi told Radio Marca. ‘He’s a player who met a number of requirements and could be attractive to Aston Villa because we were looking for that position. ‘It’s not the same position as Marcos Asensio but we’re more or less looking for that profile between the lines who can play as a No 10 and who can even play on the outside while coming in. ‘Personally, I think he’s a player with very good technical skills, and I also think he has personality – he shows it when he plays for the national team. There, he takes on roles that aren’t associated with his age. ’ Speaking last week, Arda was asked about whether he is content with still playing a bit-part role at Madrid. ‘Personally, my only desire is to play in every game and help my team win every title, ’ the midfielder said. ‘Real Madrid gave me a plan and I still believe in it. I’m sure I’ll succeed at Real Madrid, I’ve even bought a house in Madrid. Monchi insisted that he would look for a player who can operate 'between the lines' as a No 10 ‘I came to Real Madrid to play and be an important part of this team. And I won’t stop fighting until I achieve that. ’ Unai Emery's side may struggle however to qualify for the Champions League this season - the main attraction for any top-level transfer in modern football. Villa are currently ninth in the Premier League, and even with the Premier League set to receive five Champions League spots next term, they are running the risk of missing out on Europe entirely. They are still in the competition for this term, however, and will take on Paris Saint-Germain in the quarter-finals. Guler and Real Madrid, meanwhile, will take on Arsenal in the last-eight, with the first leg to be played in north London on April 8.
Share what you think
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of Mail Online.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules. Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual. Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on Mail Online. To do this we will link your Mail Online account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook. You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy. Published by Associated Newspapers Ltd Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group