Article body analysed

By JAMES COHEN Published: 02: 27 AEDT, 25 March 2025 | Updated: 02: 30 AEDT, 25 March 2025 2 View comments Dominik Szoboszlai appeared to aim a pointed dig at a Real Madrid star after suffering defeat in the UEFA Nations League on Sunday evening and the Los Blancos man has now fired back. Liverpool midfielder Szoboszlai and his Hungary team-mates were beaten 3-0 (6-0) by on the night by Tukrey, who secured promotion to the UEFA Nations League A with the victory.   During the match, Szoboszlai clashed with Turkey and Madrid star Arda Guler, who had already got himself on the scoresheet. A picture which quickly began circulating social media showed Guler putting his finger to his mouth and seemingly telling Szoboszlai to be quiet as they argued about a decision in the game.   Shortly afterwards, the picture was posted onto Instagram by a Hungarian sports channel, with the caption: 'Arda Guler told Dominik Szoboszlai to be quiet'. Eagle-eyed fans quickly spotted that Szoboszlai had commented '1088' on the post, which is the exact amount of minutes Guler has played for Madrid this season. Arda Guler mocked Dominik Szoboszlai with this post on his Instagram story on Monday Szoboszlai appeared to aim a pointed dig at a Real Madrid star on Sunday evening The Liverpool star clashed with Arda Guler before commenting '1088' on an Instagram post And Guler has now hit back with a post on his own Instagram story. The Turkey star posted a picture of the scoreline alongside a caption that read: 'this guy is a joke. Isn't six goals enough to shut you up? ' with a shush emoji. The scoreboard was also edited to show 'Szoboszlai 1 Instagram comment' where Hungary's goalscorers would have been had there been any. In comparison, Szoboszlai has played 2, 887 minutes in midfield for Liverpool.   Since joining Madrid from Turkish giants Fenerbahce in 2023, Guler has struggled to nail down a starting spot amid the side's plethora of attacking talent.   Though he's made 31 appearances in all competitions for the Spanish giants, just six of those came as starts in La Liga - with Carlo Ancelotti preferring to use his impact off the bench.    His national team-mate and Inter Milan star Hakan Calhanoglou even came forward and recently called for Guler to earn more minutes for the side. He said: 'I don't know what his situation is at Real Madrid, so I don't want to get too involved in this situation because in the end, he knows more, although of course, I want and believe he deserves to play more minutes'.   Since joining Real Madrid in 2023, Turkish star Arda Guler has struggled for playing time  1088 refers to the minutes played by Guler for the Spanish giants throughout 2024-25 Meanwhile, Turkey boss Vincenzo Montella said: 'He's improved a lot in terms of attitude and character. He's learned to fight and fight, and he's here with us because he has exceptional talent'. Szoboszlai, meanwhile, has made 40 appearances in all competitions for the Reds, providing seven goals and five assists during that time.   Prior to the international break, the Merseyside giants endured wavering form after suffering defeats by PSG and Newcastle. Szoboszlai will be hoping that he can help Arne Slot's side turn their fortunes around after the break, when they will host rivals Everton in a Premier League clash. As it stands, the Reds are currently 12 points clear at the top the table and are within touching distance of sealing a historic league title.  

Share what you think

The comments below have not been moderated.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of Mail Online.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules. Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual.   Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on Mail Online. To do this we will link your Mail Online account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook. You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy. Published by Associated Newspapers Ltd Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group