Article body analysed

By STEFAN BURGHILA Published: 02: 26 AEDT, 13 March 2025 | Updated: 03: 11 AEDT, 13 March 2025 17 View comments Virgil van Dijk sent Liverpool into a panic after footage emerged of the Reds captain in a conversation with two PSG chiefs following his side's defeat in the Champions League.   The Champions League showdown concluded with Luis Enrique's side dumping the Reds out at the Last 16 on penalties, with Darwin Nunez and Curtis Jones both missing their efforts.   Ousmane Dembele's goal sent the game to extra-time, then to a penalty shootout, after the Reds failed to equalise throughout 120 minutes despite a promising display on the pitch. Nunez and Mohamed Salah created just two of many dangerous Liverpool chances in the game, with Nuno Mendes pulling off a stunning block to deny the Egyptian.   However, Reds fans did not have much time to reflect on the game's outcome, as captain Van Dijk was spotted deep in talks with PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi and sporting director Luis Campos in the Anfield tunnel. French TV Channel RMC Sport followed with an explanation of the conversation between them, just hours before the Dutchman disclosed a fresh update on his future with his current deal set to expire at the end of the season. The 'real truth' behind Virgil van Dijk's conversation with PSG chiefs has been finally revealed  The Liverpool captain appeared to held talks with Nasser Al-Khelaifi and Luis Campos The footage further added fuel to speculations about Van Dijk's expiring Liverpool contract The Liverpool captain reportedly apologised to both Al-Khelaifi and Campos after he was involved in a clash with the Portuguese chief during the team's first leg of the Champions League round of 16. Initially, Campos raged at the referee's decision not to award Ibrahima Konate a red card after the Frenchman pushed Bradley Barcola in the first half - a verdict criticised by many fans and pundits. The incident was analysed during a lengthy VAR check, but the officials decided against any further action. PSG's anger was compounded when Liverpool earned a smash-and-grab win in the late stages of the game after substitute Harvey Elliott fired past Gianluigi Donnarumma in the 87th minute. Van Dijk appeared to take issue with Campos and could be heard saying, 'It's not Ligue 1 here, bro'. RMC Sport outlined that, on Tuesday, the centre back and PSG officials crossed paths rather than planned to meet in the tunnel in advance. Furthermore, the French outlet highlighted that both Van Dijk and Al-Khelaifi have a long-standing history of respecting each other, with the Dutchman later asking Campos to join the conversation. On Wednesday, the Reds captain sounded a new alarm on his Liverpool future as the 33-year-old revealed he has 'no idea' whether he will be part of Arne Slot's team next season. French TV Channel RMC Sport has revealed that van Dijk apologised to Campos after the pair clashed in the tunnel following the 1-0 win at Parc des Princes last week The footage emerged as the Dutchman finally provided an update of his contract situation, saying he has 'no idea' whether he will continue at Liverpool The 33-year-old centre back added that anyone who says he is close to extending his contract is 'lying to your face' While the PSG clash might have been his last Champions League game for the Merseyside giants, it is understood that both parties have not come closer to reaching an agreement for him to stay on. Quizzed about whether he would remain at the club, he said: ''I have no idea. I still have no idea at the moment. Genuinely. I have no idea at the moment. 'It is not on hold. Nothing is on hold. There's just… I keep saying the same thing. Listen, there are 10 games to go (this season) and that is my full focus. If there is news, you guys will know it. But I don't even know myself. 'Everyone knows there are some conversations behind the scenes but that is about it. At the moment I don't even know what will happen next year. If anyone says they do know, they are lying to your face. ' Mohamed Salah and Trent Alexander-Arnold, meanwhile, are also out of current in summer 2025.

Share what you think

The comments below have not been moderated.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of Mail Online.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules. Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual.   Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on Mail Online. To do this we will link your Mail Online account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook. You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy. Published by Associated Newspapers Ltd Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group