Article body analysed

By HARRY BAMFORTH Published: 20: 03 AEDT, 19 March 2025 | Updated: 21: 04 AEDT, 19 March 2025 7 View comments Rumours have swirled around Liverpool captain Virgil van Dijk's future cinstantly throughout this season, but those linking him with a summer move to PSG are not believed to carry much weight, it has been reported.   The Dutchman is yet to sign a new contract at Anfield, with his current terms set to expire at the end of the season. In fact, he's one of three Liverpool stars whose future remains uncertain, with Trent Alexander-Arnold and Mohamed Salah also yet to extend their stays at Anfield beyond this current campaign.   Last week, footage of Van Dijk deep in conversation with PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi and sporting director Luis Campos in the Anfield tunnel certainly raised eyebrows, following Liverpool's exit to the French outfit in the hour prior. The video gave wind to the rumour mill, linking Van Dijk with a move to Luis Enrique's side, however, the talk 'wasn’t about his future' but in fact the two-legged round of 16 battle between the two sides. French Journalist Julien Laurens though has now seemingly confirmed this, reporting that no transfer talks have taken place between Van Dijk and PSG. Rumours linking Virgil van Dijk with a move to PSG at the end of the season are deemed to be untrue Van Dijk was seen talking with PSG chiefs Nasser Al-Khelaifi and Luis Campos at Anfield  Van Dijk, Trent Alexander-Arnold (middle), and Mohamed Salah (left) are all out of contract at the end of the season and have yet to put pen to paper on an extension Many teams across Europe and beyond are said to be interested in the 33-year-old's services as speculation begins to pick up pace.   The 33-year-old has remained tight-lipped on his future, although it has been widely reported that he is likely to stay at Anfield and sign a new contract. Nevertheless, despite all the talk about his future, Van Dijk is still unsure what it holds. ‘As long as I am calm to you guys then there is no need to panic; Van Dijk said last week. 'Whatever may happen in the future. If I was worried you would see me playing a little bit worried and that is not the case. ‘Maybe I will run this fully down and then if there is still no news, I don't know. I don't know at this stage (what will happen).   'But I don't want to create any anxiety or anything like that, I just keep my head down and focus. ' The conversation between Van Dijk, Al-Khelaifi and Campos was not planned, but rather that the Dutchman wanted to issue an apology, according to RMC Sport. The Liverpool captain was involved in a clash with the Portuguese chief during the team's first leg of the Champions League round of 16. Liverpool skipper Virgil van Dijk (33) has a post-game talk with PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi and Sporting director Luis Campos at Anfield. pic. twitter. com/a WDN3hl0Om Van Dijk is believed to have apologised to Campos (right) after an incident in the first leg  Van Dijk has now entered his final nine games in red as things stand unless a deal is agreed  However, the trio soon smoothed things out after the tie, which ended Liverpool's hopes of a seventh Champions League title, and even more of a gilt-edge to Arne Slot's hugely successful first term at Anfield. The PSG defeat was the start of a bad week for Van Dijk as his Liverpool side were also beaten by Newcastle in the Carabao Cup final on Sunday. The Dutchman now has his eyes set on claiming the Premier League title with the Reds 12 points clear of Arsenal at the top of the table. Liverpool have nine games to get the job done in what could be the end of an era for many stars on Merseyside, including Van Dijk.

Share what you think

The comments below have not been moderated.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of Mail Online.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules. Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual.   Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on Mail Online. To do this we will link your Mail Online account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook. You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy. Published by Associated Newspapers Ltd Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group