Article body analysed

By CHRIS WHEELER and LEWIS BROWNING Published: 01: 01 AEDT, 15 February 2025 | Updated: 02: 57 AEDT, 15 February 2025 68 View comments Ruben Amorim admits that Manchester United will have to sell players to buy in the summer as the club's financial problems continue to hang over Old Trafford. As it emerged this week that the Premier League's profit and sustainability rules will remain next season and United are set to make further staff cuts, it was also revealed that the All Blacks are suing United's co-owners Ineos for reneging on their sponsorship deal. Amorim was keen to distance himself from the issues as he prepares for Sunday's game at Tottenham, but he acknowledged that the obstacles United experienced in the January transfer window will hinder them again in the summer. Marcus Rashford, Antony and Tyrell Malacia left Old Trafford on loan, while only Patrick Dorgu arrived in a £29. 4million deal from Lecce. United's financial woes left them vulnerable to offers for their prize assets Alejandro Garnacho and Kobbie Mainoo because they are worth 100 per cent profit under PSR rules, with both players attracting strong interest from Chelsea and Garnacho from Napoli as well. Both academy products could be targets again in the summer as Amorim admitted that he will need to sacrifice some players to bring in the ones he wants. Ruben Amorim has revealed that Manchester United must sell players to buy in the summer The comment means the likes of Alejandro Garnacho (left) and Kobbie Mainoo (right) find themselves at risk of being sold in the summer Marcus Rashford, who is also an academy graduate, is also more likely to now leave the club 'Our biggest problem now is Tottenham, ' said United's head coach. 'We know with the moment of the club, I have to understand these problems, but that problem is not new. You knew the rules of (financial) fair play, we have a problem at the moment, but my focus is on that and not the other things. 'Here is simple, to do something we need to sell players. My focus is to prepare the game. The window is closed and we have to focus on the next game then in the summer we will see. ' In January, United admitted the club needed to make 'difficult choices' to become profitable again and avoid a potential breach of the rules. 'We are currently making a significant loss each year – totalling over £300m in the past 3 years, ' the club told fans last month. 'This is not sustainable and if we do not act now we are in danger of failing to comply with PSR/FFP requirements in future years and significantly impacting our ability to compete on the pitch. ' On Thursday, it was ruled that profit and sustainability rules set to remain in place for a further year.  Clubs had initially agreed to sign up to new protocols to replace the existing, controversial profit and sustainability rules. And United have fallen victim to the decision, with the club needing to buy to strengthen their squad but not having the financial freedom to do so unless they offload players.   After joining, Amorim branded his United side 'the worst in the club's history' as he struggled to turn around their form following a poor run under Erik ten Hag. That would suggest that he is looking to revamp his side, but only left back Dorgu and centre back Ayden Heaven were signed in the January window. Left back Patrick Dorgu was the only permanent signing in January and United will struggle to buy again in the summer United are planning on making further staff cuts, while Sir Jim Ratcliffe's Ineos are also being sued by the All Blacks Amorim's comment also comes after Mail Sport revealed that Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Ineos are planning on making more than 100 further redundancies at United. Last year, we revealed how officials planned to lay off 250 staff – around a quarter of the workforce - as part of a wide-range of cost-cutting measures at Old Trafford. And it can now be disclosed that further pain is on the way in the shape of more job losses. No figure has been specified, but insiders are anticipating more than 100 but fewer than 200. The latest cuts come with the review ongoing. United had 1, 112 staff before Ratcliffe took a quarter stake in the club early last year, which was by far the largest in the Premier League and considerably higher than the rest of the big six.   Manchester City, for example, employed 520 during the same time period. The move is aimed at freeing up cash for Amorim to spend on the first team as they seek to return the club to its former glories. Published by Associated Newspapers Ltd Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group