Article body analysed
By LEWIS BROWNING Published: 04: 10 AEDT, 25 March 2025 | Updated: 09: 36 AEDT, 25 March 2025 View comments An English goalkeeper is being investigated after a report of an assault at a football match which appeared to see him shove a young ball boy to the ground. Carrick Rangers goalkeeper Jack Mc Intyre faced backlash from fans during his side's game against Cliftonville, with the side of the player in question on the wrong end of a 3-0 loss in the NIFL Premiership. The incident took place in the first half of the game, which saw Mc Intyre, who was on the books of the likes of Everton and Manchester City as a youth player, try and receive the ball quickly for a restart. It's unclear why the incident came about, but footage appears to show the 22-year-old receiving the ball from the ball boy in question before shoving him to the floor. The Cliftonville fans were up in arms and booed Mc Intyre for the rest of the game, but the referee did not caution him for the incident, and he played the full 90 minutes of the defeat. Police have aid they are carrying out enquiries, with the Irish Football Association also saying they are 'aware of the incident'. English goalkeeper Jack Mc Intyre is being investigated by police following a report of an assault at a football match Mc Intyre, playing for Carrick Rangers, appeared to shove a ball boy to the ground during game The Irish FA have also been informed about the incident surrounding the 22-year-old, who played for the likes of Manchester City and Everton 'Police received a report of an assault at a football match in the Cliftonville Street area of north Belfast on Saturday, March 22, ' said a PSNI statement. The Irish FA, meanwhile, said of the incident: 'Should the matter be formally referred to the Disciplinary Committee, normal disciplinary protocols will be followed in line with established procedures'. The incident took place in the first half of the game when the score was 0-0, with both managers saying they didn't see what happened post-match. Carrick Rangers' Stephen Baxter said: 'I honestly didn't see it, I heard the crowd roaring, but I didn't see any push, so I have nothing to say. ' Opposing number Jim Magilton added: 'If he has done that then he is lucky and only he will know. 'I haven't seen it back so I can't comment, but if he has put hands on the ball boy and that is the rule then he was lucky not to be sent off. 'You'll have to ask Jack Mc Intyre whether he laid hands on the boy or not. ' Mc Intyre joined Sunderland in 2021 having been released by Everton, who he played for for four years after joining from Manchester City. After leaving Sunderland at the expiration of his one-year deal, he featured for the likes of Accrington Stanley and Dartford in England before moving to Scotland.
Share what you think
No comments have so far been submitted. Why not be the first to send us your thoughts,
or debate this issue live on our message boards.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules. Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual. Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on Mail Online. To do this we will link your Mail Online account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook. You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy. Published by Associated Newspapers Ltd Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group