Article body analysed

By TUM BALOGUN Published: 09: 14 AEDT, 13 March 2025 | Updated: 09: 17 AEDT, 13 March 2025 7 View comments A stunned Vinicius Jr stared into the night sky and wondered quite how his technique had failed him after a horrendous penalty miss during Real Madrid's Champions League clash against Atletico.   The local rivals contested a tight first-leg at the Bernabeu last week, settled by Brahim Diaz's clever finish after Rodrygo and Julian Alvarez had traded worldies.   Diego Simeone's side, however, are a different proposition in front of their own supporters and levelled up the tie after only 27 seconds of play. But chances thereafter were at a premium as the tie looked destined for extra-time.   That was until Kylian Mbappe won the 15-time winners a penalty after a devastating show of his pace and trickery. The Frenchman was expected to take the spot kick after rising off the canvas but it instead fell to Vinicius Jr.   Unfortunately for Los Blancos, the Brazilian's poor night carried over to his attempt from 12 yards, which he managed to hit several meters high and just as wide as Jan Oblak's post. Madrid have puzzlingly woeful from the penalty spot this term.  Vinicius Jr's miss is the fourth in attempts for the club this term.   Vinicius Jr became the third Real Madrid star to miss from the spot this season as he failed from 12 yards against Atletico Madrid The Brazilian blazed his effort high and well wide of Jan Oblak's goal deep into the second half Kylian Mbappe won the spot kick after getting the better of two Atletico defender with his pace and trickery The winger joins team-mates Jude Bellingham and Mbappe - who missed a spot kick in Madrid's clash against Liverpool earlier this season - in failing from the spot.   In truth it has been a frustrating campaign for Vinicius Jr after his now infamous Ballon d'Or snub last term. The Brazilian has been linked with a big money move to Saudi Arabia this summer.   Last month, reports in Spain claimed that he had met with officials from the Saudi Pro League as they look to make him their latest high-profile acquisition.   According to Marca, officials from Saudi Arabia are determined to bring Vinicius to their burgeoning top flight. Vinicius is said to have met with officials from the league, namely vice president Saad Al Lazeez, in Prague in 2023 as they attempted to sell him on the move. Talks between the two parties have reportedly continued ever since, with the gulf state prepared to offer him a five-year deal worth £830million to join the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema. The deal would also reportedly see the forward serve as an ambassador for the World Cup in 2034 in the country. Members of his entourage are said to view the tabled proposal as 'unrejectable' thought the player is yet to make a firm decision on his future plans.

Share what you think

The comments below have not been moderated.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of Mail Online.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules. Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual.   Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on Mail Online. To do this we will link your Mail Online account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook. You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy. Published by Associated Newspapers Ltd Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group